Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2013

The Great Gatsby (Film) - Baz Lurhmann



"I've never seen such beautiful shirts before."

Having drunk an innordinate amount of tea before descending upon the cinema, I wasn't certain I would make it through all 142 minutes of The Great Gatsby. I did, however, as I was distracted and dazzled by the Baz-iness of it all.

I went in with low expections; from memory I had enjoyed the book (while studying it) and I enjoy Bazza's style, so I didn't want to get my hopes up. The Great Gatsby was a pleasant, flamboyant journey and Bazza did not disappoint on his usual ability to create a stunning spectacle.

And by pleasant, I don't mean pleasant in the sense that the story was jovial, but that it was visually appealing and the story line executed smoothly.

For those unfamiliar with the story of Gatsby, go read it. It is a wafer thin sliver of a book.
I'll wait for you.

Waits.

Welcome back. I studied this book in high school, which both ruined and enhanced it. I approached the film with themes in mind; money, material wealth, love, status, the colour green and its significance, The American Dream. Despite trying to take an intellectual approach, I was sidetracked by Bazza's volumptuous portrayal of the parties and I lusted after the ladies' dresses.



Admittedly, the movie slows down in the middle, but seeing as you have now read the book you will understand that there is a great deal of soul searching and reflection required when hosting ginormous parties. I enjoyed the acting; Leo was an excellent Gatsby (gosh, Leo is doing rather well for himself these days, isn't he?) and Daisy was played very well by Carey Mulligan but ultimately I felt very little towards her. I think you are meant to feel little sympathy for her, though, as she is a somewhat two-dimensional character.

Oh, and the executive producer was Jay-Z. 'Nuff said.

Bazza, you throw one hell of a party.

1 comment:

  1. Omg I want to see this film! Its in Lincoln atm! Loving your blog sash x

    ReplyDelete