Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Mundane London Life

I haven't written a blog post in a while as I've been settling into life now as a Londoner and shaking off the tourist a little. The tourist is still there, lurking under the surface (wanting to go to Madame Tussaud and the museum, and other horribly touristy things), but day to day life must go on and I really had to stop eating as much potato as I was.

I have been working for 2 weeks now and enjoying it a lot. I've got one project in particular that I'm sinking my teeth into, which is overhauling the New Student website. It's bad. I mean..like, really bad. And I don't have a lot of room to move, sadly. But it's going to be better. (To be honest, if I mashed the keyboard and random code came out, it would be better. I'm sorry. I really am.) So that's fun - I've been employing a lot of what I learnt at Adelaide and trying to emulate the big picture buttons as best I can within the VI of the uni. I've also been throwing around a lot of words to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about - and strangely enough, I do kinda.

Had after work drinks on Friday night with my colleagues and some of the adjoining teams to farewell one of the temps (who found out that day that she would be returning on Monday in a different department!) We went to the student union bar, which was cheap and crowded and good fun (and smelt like weed). Saturday saw a visit to Kew Gardens, one of the top recommended spots in London according to my lovely little London Lonely Planet guide. After almost falling over at the cost of the entry fee, I sucked it up and Nicole, Sophie and myself spent a lovely day in the sunshine with the flowers, getting a good old London sunburn. The highlight of the day: finally finding the Treetop Walk (which, let's be honest, was a fraction disappointing but it took us so goddamn long to find the thing).

So yeah then maybe wine and pizza and vodka may have happened and fast forward to Sunday!

Sunday I spent nursing my hangover. Really nothing much else to report there, however today - Monday - two very exciting and expensive things happened.

Number 1 exciting and expensive thing: Belgium!
Number 2 exciting and expensive thing: Iceland!

Belgium is happening at the end of August with the lovely Nicole and Corey and I promise not to be a menace. I got the last seat on the plane for the way home - booyah! I am making a habit of this. Live life on the edge.

Iceland is happening in March next year and I am randomly going with some people from Meetup thanks to some cheap flights. Figured...why not? It's just before my contract ends.

And so, some exciting things to look forward to as I become settled. I had my first protein shake for breakfast this morning (it felt good, a liquid breakfast, haven't had one for weeks), and my apples and my carrot snacks - and my salmon salad for lunch today - just felt like I was becoming normal again. Energy levels: rising (although the Pound Zone at uni is going to make me fat.)

Oh! It seems the 4pm chocolate run is a global phenomenon.

Much love,
x





No comments:

Post a Comment