Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

The Two Pearls of Wisdom - Alison Goodman



"...the truth can be  deadly..."

I've discovered I have a type. I think we all do. I've known for a long time that my favourite is fantasy, but I realised that I specifically like fantasy with strong female leads. I will read others of course, but I am instinctively drawn towards feisty beautiful female characters with magical abilities and a penchance for a dashing price.

I think this is where I went astray. Instead of being instinctively drawn to this book, I was seeking it out. As I sat cross legged on the floor of the second-hand book shop, classical music playing soothingly in the background, I picked up book after book looking for female leads. The premise of The Two Pearls of Wisdom fascinated me and I like to support Australian authors.



Sadly, the book felt somewhat amateur and it didn't end, meaning I have to purchase the next book in the series. Which I will, of course, not because I truly want to follow the characters on their journey, but because that is where I will find the ending of the first book.

However, it was a pleasant and easy read. I wanted a light fluffy read and I got more than I bargained for. Maybe I am being too harsh on the poor book, seeing as it follows The Time Traveler's Wife which unceremoniously ripped out my heart...

The little feminist within me rallied with Eon/Eona, I desperately wanted her to succeed. Her struggle with her womanhood in a male dominated society and the need to conform, to hide her true self as something shameful both insulted me (as a feminist) and compelled me to commend her strength. 

     He grunted. "You have the courage of a warrior."
     "No," I said flatly. "I don't. " 
     "Are you frightened now?"
     I nodded, shame flushing my skin.
     "Is it going to stop you?"
     "No. "
     "That is the courage of a warrior."

Also there was magic and dragons and shit. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment